New premises licence

The Licensing Act 2003

A premises license is required for the sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or provision of hot food & drinks between 11pm and 5am.

A club premises certificate is required for the supply of alcohol by clubs.

Forms for new licences/certificates can be downloaded below.

To make a payment for a new premises licence, please use this online form.

The Act

Premises Licences are issued in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003. Our licensing policy statement is included in the downloads section of this page.

Further information

Regulated entertainment is entertainment provided in the presence of an audience, for the purpose of entertaining that audience. For example:

  • the performance of a play
  • the showing of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance
  • entertainment of a similar description (such as a circus).

It also includes the provision of entertainment facilities, that is facilities used for:

  • making music (for example, a karaoke machine)
  • dancing (for example, a dance floor)
  • entertainment of a similar description.

The sale or supply of alcohol must be carried out, or authorised by, a person who holds a Personal Licence.

If alcohol is to be sold or supplied at the premises, the Premises Licence must include the name of the designated premises supervisor, who must hold a Personal Licence