Alcohol, entertainment and food

The Licensing Act 2003

A premises license is required for the sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or provision of hot food & drinks between 11pm and 5am.

A club premises certificate is required for the supply of alcohol by clubs.

Forms for new licences/certificates can be downloaded below.

The Act

Premises Licences are issued in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003. Our licensing policy statement is included in the downloads section of this page.

Further information

Regulated entertainment is entertainment provided in the presence of an audience, for the purpose of entertaining that audience. For example:

  • the performance of a play
  • the showing of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance
  • entertainment of a similar description (such as a circus).

It also includes the provision of entertainment facilities, that is facilities used for:

  • making music (for example, a karaoke machine)
  • dancing (for example, a dance floor)
  • entertainment of a similar description.

The sale or supply of alcohol must be carried out, or authorised by, a person who holds a Personal Licence.

If alcohol is to be sold or supplied at the premises, the Premises Licence must include the name of the designated premises supervisor, who must hold a Personal Licence.

Advice on operating an online alcohol delivery service

Please see the advice in the download section of this page.

Making a representation objecting to or supporting an application

An information sheet, and a suggested form for making representations, is available in the download section of this page.

Current applications made under the Licensing Act 2003

Search for current applications, including applications made for a review of a Premises Licence and applications made for new Premises Licence.

Representations must be made via email to on or prior to the last date for representations.