Personal licences

The sale or supply of alcohol must be carried out or authorised by the holder of a personal licence in accordance with the Licensing Act 2003, unless a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) has been served. A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) must hold a personal licence.

Applying for a personal licence

To obtain a personal licence, you must be over 18, live in the borough, have an approved qualification and provide a criminal record check. Provided these requirements are met, a licence will be issued.

Personal licences are valid indefinitely from the date of issue. Although you can only obtain a licence from the local authority in the area you live, it is valid anywhere in the country.

If you would like to apply for a Personal Licence please complete this form. The fee for a Personal Licence is £37, Payment can be made by using this link.

If you have changed name or moved address you need to update your Licence. Please complete this form. The payment of £10.50 can be made using this link.

New arrangements for existing personal licences previously valid for 10 years

The Government has removed the requirement for personal licence holders to renew their licence every 10 years through the Deregulation Bill 2015, this came into effect on the 1st April 2015. New and replacement licences will no longer have an expiry date. There isn’t a requirement to replace your licence if it is showing an expiry date after the 1st April 2015.

Right to live and work in the UK

A personal licence may not be issued to an individual who does not have the right to live and work in the UK or is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity. Any personal licence issued in respect of an application made on or after 6 April 2017 will become invalid if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensing activity. Details of how they do this can be found in the guidance notes within this section.