Housing advice and homelessness

Homeless or at risk of homelessness?

The Council has a duty to assist people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness within 56 days.

Wherever possible we want to prevent homelessness and we will work with you to help you stay in your home but if that isn’t possible, we will help you find suitable alternative housing.

Making a homeless application

Complete an online enquiry form. You will be contacted within 5 working days depending on the urgency of your situation, if you are roofless you will be contacted on the same day. If you do not have access to a computer you can use the iPads at the Contact Centre, Parker Lane, Burnley.

We will carry out an initial assessment of your circumstances.  You will be asked questions about your circumstances and other members of your household and asked to provide certain documents to support your application. The Housing Officer will assess the information provided and decide what duty if any we owe you. We may need further information from you before we can make a decision.

Homeless prevention

If you are threatened with homelessness in 56 days, the Council owes you a Prevention Duty. This means that the Council must take reasonable steps to help you remain in your accommodation wherever possible.  This could be by helping you to sort out your rent arrears or mediating with your family if they are asking you to leave.  If we cannot keep you in your current accommodation, we will help you to look for somewhere else to live. You will be given a Personal Housing Plan which lists actions for you and the Council to take to resolve your situation.

Homeless relief

If you are actually homeless, then the Council owes you a Relief Duty for up to 56 days. This means that the Council must take reasonable steps to help you to look for other accommodation.  This does not mean that the Council will offer you a property, but we will give you advice on how to find accommodation that is suitable and affordable for your needs. You will be given a Personal Housing Plan which lists actions for you and the Council to take to resolve your situation.

Will you provide temporary accommodation?

The Council doesn’t have to provide temporary accommodation to everybody who is homeless – the help that we can give depends on whether or not we think you are in priority need or vulnerable.

Will I get Social Housing?

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, the Council will give you some priority on the housing register, however there is no guarantee that you will get an offer of social housing.  We encourage you to look for accommodation in the private rented sector and we may offer assistance with bonds, we will also provide you with information on how you might be able to access help with rent in advance.

How can I find out more?

To find out more about your rights and the legal framework in relation to homelessness duties please visit the Shelter website.

Outside office hours

Outside of office opening hours, for emergency assistance, please callĀ 03330 914 108