Complaining about a Council service

If your complaint is about Buses, Schools, Libraries, Registrars Office, Highways, Social Services please contact Lancashire County Council.

If your complaint is about a Padiham Leisure Centre or St. Peters, Burnley Mechanics or another Burnley Leisure Service please go Burnley Leisure’s website.

If you have a complaint about a Burnley Council service, please read on.

We try our best to get things right, but sometimes we may get it wrong. If you feel we have:

  • done something badly or wrong
  • failed to do something we should have done
  • treated you unfairly or rudely

Then make a complaint to us and we will try to put it right.

Valid complaints are important to us as they help us improve our services. Read about how we deal with complaints.

The most convenient way is to complete an online complaints form.

You can also:

  • Phone us on 01282 425011
  • Visit us at Contact Burnley on Parker Lane
  • Write to us at: Complaints, Contact Burnley, Parker Lane, Burnley BB11 2BY

Sometimes, we may ask you to submit your complaint in writing to help us with our investigation. 

Please provide as much detail as possible to help us investigate the matter fully. Tell us where you think we went wrong, and what action you think the Council can take to put things right.

You can get someone else to complain on your behalf. Your local councillor can also help you. Find out who your local councillor is.

Please note that we do not normally accept complaints about matters that happened more than 12 months ago.

The complaints procedure will not be used for those matters for which there is a right of redress through the courts or other body. For example, if you are dissatisfied with the administration of a planning application you should complain to the Council. But if you are dissatisfied with the final decision on your planning application, then you should appeal to the Secretary of State.Dealing with a complaint is a straightforward process, but in a minority of cases, people pursue their complaints in a way which can either impede the investigation of their complaint or can have significant resource issues for the Council. This can happen either while their complaint is being investigated, or once the Council has finished dealing with the complaint.The Council is committed to dealing with all complaints equitably, comprehensively, and in a timely manner.The Council does not expect staff to tolerate unacceptable behaviour by complainants or any customer. Unacceptable behaviour includes behaviour which is abusive, offensive or threatening and may include:

  • Using abusive, threatening or obscene language in any communications with the Council.
  • Having unnecessary and inappropriate multiple contact with the Council.

The Council will take action to protect staff from such behaviour. If a complainant behaves in a way that is unreasonably persistent or vexatious, we will follow our Vexatious Complaints Policy.


You might be interested in