Council Tax discounts

The full council tax bill assumes that there are at least two adults living in a dwelling. If only one adult lives in a dwelling the council tax will normally be reduced by 25%.

There are also discounts for people who have a severe cognitive disorder, and for full-time students. A student must be undertaking a course of at least 21 hours per week for a minimum of 24 weeks a year. 

To apply for any of the above you will need to register or log in to your Council Tax account using your Council Tax account number and online key, which is shown on the front of your last council tax bill.

It’s quick, safe and easy to use, so there is no need to call or queue. If you don’t have access to a PC or the Internet, you can use one of our free access PC’s located at any library or in our main Customer Service Centre in Burnley town Centre, where we will also have staff on hand to help.

There are also a number of other types of occupier who will not pay council tax. These include:

  • patients resident in hospital
  • people who are being looked after in care homes
  • people staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
  • careworkers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • people caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • members of religious communities
  • people in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine) 
  • students with a non-British spouse or dependant(s)

For more information on these discounts and what evidence/proof you need to provide download our information sheet.

A property that is not occupied may also receive a discount.  Please refer to Council Tax for Empty Properties for further details.

Please be aware that we carry out regular reviews to make sure you are still entitled to a discount and we will send you a form to complete and return. If you do not return the form, your discount may be removed and a new bill issued to you for the full amount.

For some applications you may need to attach additional information.