Environmental protection

Environmental nuisance

Find out about how to report domestic noise nuisance, or other environmental problems.

Private water supplies 

A private water supply is any water supply which supplies one or more properties that is not provided by a water company. Most of these supplies are situated in remote, rural parts of the country and can originate from a range of sources including boreholes, natural springs and watercourses.

The local authority has a role in risk assessing and monitoring domestic or commercial private water supplies to ensure they comply with drinking water standards. 

Details of the regulations, guidance and further information relating to private water supplies & how they are monitored can be found here  Private Water Supplies – Drinking Water Inspectorate (dwi.gov.uk)

If your home or business premises (includes rented dwellings) has a private water supply intended for drinking, cooking, food preparation or other domestic purposes (e.g. toilet flushing), details of the supply should be recorded by the Council.

If you are planning to install a new private water supply, or require information about an existing private water supply, please contact us at envhealth@burnley.gov.uk

Air Quality

The Council is responsible for reviewing and assessing the quality of outdoor air within the Borough and to determine whether local air quality meets required government standards. Further information relating to air quality in Burnley.

Smoke control orders

Many areas within the borough of Burnley are smoke control areas where you can’t emit smoke from a chimney unless you’re burning an authorised fuel or using ‘exempt appliances’, for example burners or stoves. The new Environment Act 2021 strengthens Local Authorities powers to take acton to reduce pollution from domestic burning.

For more information on this, including lists of DEFRA exempt appliances and authorised fuels, please go to this link: http://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

A practical guide to open fires and wood burning stoves as well as a map detailing the smoke control orders within the borough can be downloaded (see downloads).

Environmental Permitting

Certain industrial processes with a potential to release pollution to air, land or water need to have an environmental permit that will control the amount of pollution released.

Find out more about permitted processes.

Contaminated Land

The Council predominantly deals with Contaminated Land when the land is redeveloped. Further information is available here Contaminated Land Strategy 2022-2026


You might be interested in