Environmental Permitting

Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999

Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2016

Why have Environmental Permitting?

Some industrial processes have a greater potential to release pollution to land, air and/or water. This pollution can pose a health risk to people as well as damage to the environment. To prevent this, specified types of industrial processes are regulated in order to minimise their environmental impacts.

Types of Processes involved

These processes are split into three categories:

  • Part A1 – enforced by the Environment Agency
  • Part A2 – enforced by the local authority
  • Part B – enforced by the local authority.

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales. A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy – burning fuel, gasification, liquefaction and refining activities
  • metals – manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals – manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals – manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste – incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents – using solvents
  • other – manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

How to apply for a Permit

To apply for an A2 or Part B permit relating to a process within the borough of Burnley, submit a completed form provided by Burnley Council and the relevant fee must be made.

The application should give all the information required to make a determination (duly made) and applicants will be notified in writing of the Council’s decision, normally within 4 months. Please note that tacit consent will not apply.

Applications that are not duly made will normally be returned along with any fee.

Please address all enquiries and applications either by post to Environmental Health, 1st Floor Offices, Parker Lane, Burnley, BB11 2BY, or by email to envhealth@burnley.gov.uk or by telephoning 01282 425011

Public Registers for Permitted Processes

The Environment Agency provides public registers for processes permitted by them under the Environmental Permitting Regulations at: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/index

Burnley Borough Council’s public register which includes information regarding current permits is available at the Council’s offices at:

Environmental Health, 1st Floor Offices, Parker Lane, Burnley, BB11 2BY.

The register can be inspected by personal visit to the offices (appointment may be required) or on request by emailing envhealth@burnley.gov.uk

Public Consultation for Current Permit Applications

It is a requirement of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 for us to consult the public on applications for an environmental permit where the application is for a process that is not a dry cleaner, petrol station or mobile plant.

Public consultation in the vast majority of cases will be limited to notification via this page.

A list of current applications for environmental permits is given below, and a separate webpage for each application where public consultation is required, with downloadable files of the application and objections, is available to view. (NB the application may have been redacted in parts if it contains sensitive information).

Alternatively, applications may be viewed by personal visit to the offices (appointment may be required) at:

Environmental Health, 1st Floor Offices, Parker Lane, Burnley, BB11 2BY.

or on request by emailing envhealth@burnley.gov.uk or by telephoning 01282 425011

Premises addressProcess TypeApplicantConsultation End Date *Webpage link for application details
Hapton Valley Transfer Station, Hapton Valley Estate, Accrington Road, Hapton, Lancashire, BB11 5QG. Small waste incineration plant installation under Schedule 13 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations ETGAS Burnley Limited, Rees House, Burn Hall Industrial Estate,
Venture Road, Fleetwood, FY7 8RS
 28/09/23 Hapton Valley
Old Holme Farm, Cemetery Lane, Burnley, BB11 5QB.Blending, Packing, Loading, Unloading and Use of Bulk Cement ProcessGreenvale Products Ltd24/3/2024Old Holme Farm

* To object against an application for an environmental permit, please either write to us at Environmental Health, 1st Floor Offices, Parker Lane, Burnley, BB11 2BY or email us at envhealth@burnley.gov.uk within the given dates of the consultation period. All objections received will be considered if submitted within the stated consultation period. Any objections submitted after this time may be considered where individual circumstances are appropriate.

Any written comments will be placed on the public register unless they include a statement requesting that this is not done. If there is such a request the register itself will just include a note that representations have been made which are not on the register because of such a request.