Domestic premises 

If persistent or unreasonable, noise from neighbours may be considered to be a statutory nuisance. If you would like to make a complaint, please visit our domestic premises noise page.

Barking dogs

Dogs will bark!  What is considered to be excessive and persistent barking can be difficult to gauge but, as a general rule of thumb, we would investigate and deal with uncontrollable barking, whining or crying, especially at inappropriate times or in circumstances that interfere significantly with how someone uses and enjoys their property.  For example, (not definitive)

  1. Continuous barking for 30 minutes on 5 days over a 7 day period.
  2. Barking for more than a combined total of 1 hour in 24.
  3. Barking occurring during “quiet hours” between 11pm and 7am.

Download noise diary sheets from the Downloads section. Once you have followed the guidance, making a report to us:

Other noise

Please visit our nuisance complaints page for advice if you are experiencing persistent nuisance from any of the following:


For more information about noise nuisance from cockerels please click here.

Commercial & industrial premises

Noise from commercial or industrial premises may be a nuisance.

Licensed premises

Problems may arise when licensed premises are sited too close to residential properties. Regulated entertainment or people attending these venues may cause noise nuisance.

Taking your own private action

In some circumstances we may not be able to assist you with your complaint. You may however be able to take your own private action in court.