Housing benefits

Working-age people who don’t live in supported or temporary accommodation must now claim help with housing costs through Universal Credit on GOV.UK

You claim Housing Benefit through Burnley Council if:

  • you are working-age and live in supported or temporary accommodation; or
  • you are pension-age and single; or part of a couple and you are both pension-age, AND you don’t need to live in supported or temporary accommodation.

You need your national insurance number to claim. Don’t worry if you don’t have it with you now – you can start the form, save it and come back to it later. 

For mixed-age couples – where one of you is pension-age and the other is working-age – how you claim help with your rent costs depends on your circumstances.

We will also check if you can get help with your council tax (Council Tax Support) when you fill in this online form.