House to House Collections

To carry out house-to-house collections for charitable purposes in England and Wales you need a licence from the local authority. This includes if you are collecting in public houses. Collections may only take place during daylight hours.

Applications must be in the form prescribed by the local authority and must be accompanied by a letter of authority from the charity which you are collecting on behalf of.

How to Apply

Please read the guidance information and then complete the application form, at the bottom of this page.

We can only accept application forms which are accompanied by a letter of authority for the charity which you are collecting on behalf of.

Please email the application and the letter of authority to 1 month before the collection is due to take place.

If you are engaging with the public with a view to setting up Direct Debit payments, you do not require a licence, however you still need to complete the application form and submit your letter of authority, so that we are aware.

Once you have finished your collection, please complete and submit your returns form.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you – preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.