Guidance for premises that offer gambling

A Premises Licence is required for any premises where an individual or company wants to offer premises-based gambling. The licences are issued in respect of specific premises. They are issued by the licensing authority with responsibility for the area in which the premises are located.

An application for a premises licence may be made to the licensing authority at the same time as an application for an operating licence is made to the Gambling Commission. However, a premises licence cannot be issued until the Commission has issued an operating licence to the individual or company.

Once issued, a premises licence will be of unlimited duration unless and until it ceases to have effect, e.g. the licence is revoked by the licensing authority, is surrendered by the holder or lapses due to death or bankruptcy.

Premises Licences are required for:

  • Casinos
  • Bingo Premises
  • Adult Gaming Centre (enabling Category B gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises) 
  • Family Entertainment Centre (enabling Category C gaming machines to be made available for use at the premises) 
  • Betting Premises (enabling the provision of facilities for betting, by making or accepting bets or by acting as a betting intermediary)

Application for a premises licence

An application for a Premises Licence may only be made by persons (this includes companies or partnerships) who:

  • have the right to occupy the premises
  • have an Operating Licence that allows them to carry out the proposed activity, or
  • have applied for an Operating Licence (the Premises Licence may only be issued once the Operating Licence has been issued from the Gambling Commission)
  • are over the age of 18 years

Except in the case of a track, a Premises Licence may not authorise the use of premises for activities of more than one of the types listed above.

A Licence may not be issued in respect of premises if those premises already have a Premises Licence in effect.


Fees have been set locally and are subject to annual review.

Vessels and Vehicles

Vehicles (trains, aircraft, cars etc.) are not entitled to hold a premises licence and therefore all forms of commercial betting and gaming will be unlawful in a vehicle in Great Britain.

For vessels, please contact the licensing section.

Provisional statements

Section 204 of the Act provides for a person to make an application to Burnley Borough Council for a Provisional Statement in respect of premises that are

  • expected to be constructed
  • expected to be altered
  • expects to acquire a right to occupy

Unlike a Premises Licence application, a person can apply for a Provisional Statement without having an Operating Licence from the Gambling Commission or a right to occupy the premises.

As well as providing a level of assurance to the outcome of a subsequent Premises Licence application, a Provisional Statement also provides the holder with some protection against representations when they make an application for a Premises Licence in relation to the premises for which they hold a Provisional Statement.