Variations of Premises Licence – full variation/minor variations

To change your Premises Licence then there are three different pathways.

The correct pathway depends on the circumstances. There is a:

  • variation to a Premises Licence application
  • a Minor Variation to a Premises Licence application
  • a New Premises Licence application

The extract below rom Burnley Council’s Licensing Policy gives clarity as to which of the 3 listed above are appropriate for the specific circumstances of the changes you want to your Premises Licence.

11.3 Minor variations are those which cannot adversely impact on the licensing objectives and generally fall into four categories which are:-

  • Minor changes to the structural layout which does not;
  • Increase the capacity for drinking (increasing floor area for patrons drinking etc.)
  • Affecting access or egress (blocking fire exits or escape routes)
  • Impede or remove noise reduction measures at the premises (removing acoustic lobbies etc.)
  • Small adjustments to licensing hours
  • Removal of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions or the addition of volunteered conditions
  • Addition of a licensable activity where similar activities already exist.

11.4 Full variations follow the same procedure as that for a new Premises Licence with the need for advertisement on the premises and in the newspaper in addition to the statutory consultation.

11.5 The areas in which a premises licence may be varied include;

• Varying the hours during which a licensable activity is permitted

• Adding or removing licensable activities

• Amending, adding or removing conditions within a licence

• Altering any aspect of the layout of the premises which is shown on the plan.

11.6 Where the changes proposed are substantial or involve completely changing the nature of the business, (for example if there is more than a 50% increase in the licensable area) it will be more appropriate to apply for a new premises licence.