Licensable HMOs

From the 1st October 2018, the rules around HMO licensing have changed.

If your property is a HMO you may need a licence to rent it out regardless of how many storeys the property has.

A landlord must have a licence for a HMO if the property being rented out, and:

  • Is occupied by five or more people;
  • Those people form two or more households;
  • The tenants share some amenities like the kitchen, toilet or bathroom.

Purpose built apartment blocks consisting of three or more apartments will not require a licence.

Failure for owners to apply for a HMO license could result in prosecution, a criminal record, and a fine of up to £20,000, and other sanctions such as Rent Repayment orders or Management Orders. A Rent Repayment Order means an owner may have to repay the rent for the time the property is unlicensed.

Find out more information and for details of how to apply for a HMO licence.

A HMO licence is usually valid for five years. A HMO licence will be needed for each property and is not transferable.

Burnley Council’s Selective Licensing Scheme

The Council currently operates a Selective Licensing scheme in a number of areas within the Borough. If you rent out a non-licensable HMO please check with the Council’s Selective Licensing Team as you may need to apply for a selective licence. For more information click on the following link.