Overseas, European and Anonymous Registration

British Citizens Living Abroad

If you are a British citizen who has been registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years you are eligible to vote in UK Parliamentary (general) elections and European Parliamentary elections in the UK.

If you were too young to register when you left the UK, you can still register as an overseas voter so long as your parent or guardian was registered to vote in the UK.

Once you’re registered, you’ll need to decide how you want to vote depending on your personal circumstances:

  • Voting in person
    If you’re in the UK on election day, you can always vote in person at a polling station.
  • Voting by post
    If you’re abroad you can apply to vote by post, although there may be a rather short time in which to return your ballot paper to the UK.
  • Voting by proxy
    If you’re abroad you can apply to vote by proxy (someone voting on your behalf).

You will need to complete and return a registration application form.

If you have any questions on this subject please contact the Elections Office.

Anonymous Registration

If you don’t want your name to appear on the electoral register then you can apply to be registered anonymously, however you will need to provide documentary evidence of a Court Order or attestation from certain persons to support with your application.

If you are registered anonymously, instead of your name and address appearing on the electoral register a code will be added to the end of the section of the register for your polling district. Instead of including you in the annual canvass, the Electoral Registration Officer will contact you separately and in such a way as to not reveal that you are registered anonymously. You should receive polling cards as usual.

Anyone who has concerns about their name appearing on the electoral register should contact the Elections Office.