Information for voters in HM Armed Forces

Special arrangements are in place for registration, postal voting and proxy voting for those who are serving in HM Armed Forces, either here or abroad.

Service personnel and their husbands, wives or civil partners can register to vote in two ways:

  • By registering as a Service voter. This allows you to be registered for three years at a fixed address in the UK even if you are moving around. Registering as a Service voter is particularly useful if you are based overseas or think you may be posted overseas in the next year
  • If you are based in the UK and are unlikely to be posted overseas or change address in the next year you can register as an ordinary voter by filling in a rolling registration form.

Service voters, their husbands, wives or civil partners can: 

  • vote in person
  • vote by post
  • vote by proxy

Postal votes are only sent out about a week before Election Day. If you are living abroad, it may be better to appoint a proxy to vote on your behalf as there may not be enough time for your postal vote to reach you and be sent back before voting closes.