This section contains information on all aspects of licensing relating to boarding of animals.
The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into force on the 1st October 2018. Guidance documents are available for each licensable activity under the regulations. The guidance documents were first published in 2018 and were completely revised in 2022, with the new guidance coming into force on the 1st February 2022.
The legislation states that Licensable Activities which require an Animal Welfare License issued by the Local Authority are: Providing or arranging for the provision of accommodation for other people’s cats or dogs in the course of a business on any premises where the provision of that accommodation is a purpose of the business by—
- providing boarding for cats;
- providing boarding in kennels for dogs;
- providing home boarding for dogs; or
- providing day care for dogs.
Applications should be made by email to Licensing@Burnley.gov.uk
Proof of payment of the initial fee is required with the application
There should be 3 different application forms completed – Applicant details, Declaration and an application for animal boarding activities.
- Read the DEFRA guidance on dog day care licensing
- Read the DEFRA guidance on home boarding for dogs licensing
- Read the DEFRA guidance on cat boarding licensing