Unfortunately the household support fund is limited and has now closed. If you have received a letter but are struggling to cash in your voucher please use the contact details in the letter to get help.
Previously, we have used household support fund to help families with school age children that receive free school meals, low-income pensioners, and residents that have a disability band reduction or severe mental impairment or carers discount on their council tax. In the latest scheme, which started in December 2022- February 2023, different eligibility criteria applied. Please note that this scheme has now closed.
Eligibility for the scheme
- your household receives council tax support and you receive a PIP (vouchers issued from February 2023)
- your household receives council tax support and has a child that is 4 years old or under.
- you are only eligible for housing benefit and have not been eligible for the government’s Cost of Living payment.
- you made an application for council tax support since 2020, but your application was not successful because your income was marginally too high.
How will eligible households receive the household support fund payment?
You do not need to apply. We are writing to all eligible households. Please note that we will sending out the letters in batches, so if you do not receive your letter at the same time as a friend or neighbour, there is no need to contact us. The first letters started to arrive in the first week of December 2022. We are aiming to send out all the letters over a 6 week period.
The letter will contain a barcode you can use to pick up your cash payment from any Post Office branch.
Subject to fund availability, the value will be £90, and this is a one off payment.
Information to bring to the Post Office to get your payment
To get the payment please take the following documents to the Post Office:
- The letter containing the barcode, and
- One of the following identification documents containing the name and address of the person to whom the letter with the barcode is addressed:
- Council Tax Bill for 2022/23
- Bank Statement confirming Address (within last 3 months)
- Utility Bill (within the last 3 months)
- Rent Statement or Book (within last 3 months)
- Mortgage Statement (within the last 3 months)
- If you do not want to collect cash, the voucher can be used to pay off a bill or can be credited into your bank account. To do this, take your bill or bank card along to the Post Office too.
A family member, carer, or friend may collect the payment on your behalf. They must also bring the letter and the identification document containing the name and address of the person to whom the letter with the barcode is addressed to.