Household Support Fund

The Household Support Fund (HSF) is funded by the Department for Work and Pensions to support those most in need with food costs, energy or water bills, or wider household essentials. To support households with the rising cost of living, the Government has allocated further funding to local authorities in England to extend the Household Support Fund for 6 months until September 24.

The council has been allocated a further round of Household Support Fund Grant Funding (HSF) – called HSF5 – by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to use between April 2024 and September 2024 to support some low income and vulnerable households facing defined cost of living pressures.

HSF5 will provide a range of discretionary support rather than being legal entitlements and all awards are based on funding still being available.

Funded by UK govenment


Burnley Together will be administering the HSF5 applications.

Applications to the HSF5 discretionary payments scheme are now open. Before you complete your application please read the frequently asked questions.

The applications form will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The form is at after the “Frequently asked questions- before you apply” section below. 

  1. Have all supporting information ready to upload

Frequently Asked Questions- before you apply 

The aim of this scheme is to provide longer term support to our residents who are struggling financially.

Who can apply? 

  • You are not eligible for funding from the application based scheme if you or someone in your household received a household support fund payment or post office voucher from the council in the last 12 months.
  • You must be aged 16 or over  
  • You must be a resident of the borough of Burnley  
  • You must be experiencing financial hardship and struggling to afford essential items or living costs  
  • Your must willing to engage with other support agencies such as Citizens Advice, Christians Against Poverty and Burnley Together
  • You do not need to be on benefits to apply, but your savings must be less than £2000.

How do I apply?

  • Your must complete the online application form below 
  • You must provide:
    • at least one month of recent bank statements for all open bank / savings accounts held by adults within the household
    • if you receive universal credit, a full breakdown of your universal credit statement
  • Once your application is received by us, we aim to contact you as quickly as possible. We are currently dealing with a large number of applications – we appreciate your patience and will deal with applications as fast as we can.    
  • If the required documents have not been provided, we cannot proceed with your application. All applications will be closed 10 working days after they have been submitted if the documents are not provided

What support is available? 

The types of short term support the fund can help with include:  

  • Utility bills  
  • Food  
  • Household appliances  
  • Other essential items   

How will I receive support?

  1. If you are successful we will send you a Huggg voucher. Huggg is the name of the company we are using to send out vouchers. The vouchers can be for shopping, or paying energy bills, or to buy other household essentials. The type of voucher we send you will depend on your circumstances.
  2. The voucher will be sent to you either by email or text message (applicants that are not online or don’t have a mobile phone will receive a voucher in the post).
  3. You will be asked to make an appointment with a support service, such as Citizens Advice.
  4. After your appointment, you could receive a top up Huggg voucher.

What other help could I get?

As part of the assessment process, we may refer you onto other organisations to help. These organisations may:  

  • Carry out a debt assessment and benefit check to identify debts they can support with and ensure you are receiving all the income and benefits you are entitled to  
  • Put in any requests to the Household Support Fund for further support  
  • Carry out more in-depth follow-up appointments where required  

How we use your data- protecting your privacy

For details on how Burnley Borough Council uses your data, see our privacy notice. This scheme is being run in partnership with East Lancashire Citizens Advice, Christians Against Poverty and Burnley Together.  In applying to the scheme we will seek your consent to share your information.

Help with obtaining your bank statement

  • Barclays – for further help call 0345 734 5345
  • Chase – for further help call 0800 376 3333
  • Co-Op Bank – for help call 03457 212 212
  • First Direct – for further help call 03456 100 100
  • HSBC – for further help call 03457 400 400
  • Halifax – for further help call 0345 720 3040
  • Lloyds – for further help call 0345 300 0000
  • Monzo – for further help call 0800 802 1281
  • Nationwide – for further help call 03457 302 011
  • Natwest – for further help call 0345 788 8444
  • Royal Bank of Scotland – for further help call 0345 724 2424
  • Santander / Santander Mobile – for further help call 0330 9123 123
  • Starling – for further help call 0207 9304 450
  • Tesco – for further help call 0345 300 3511
  • TSB – for further help call 03459 758 758

How do I provide a Universal Credit Statement?  

If you receive part of your income from Universal Credit, we will need to see evidence of this. If you’re unsure on how to get a statement for this, please follow the steps below:  

  1. Log in to your Universal Credit account here.  
  2. Go to the Payments page.  
  3.  Click on the latest statement.  
  4. The statement will appear on your screen.  
  5. You can then select the option to ‘Print to PDF’ or ‘Save as PDF’  

How do I provide the financial documents?  

The best way to do this is to upload the documents through the online application form or if you are unable to do this email through to

You can also provide your financial information directly at Burnley Town Hall or the Customer Contact Centre at Parker Lane. Please mark if for the attention of HSF Team, Policy and Engagement.

Please note any applications that are submitted without the required financial documents will not be processed until this has been received. All applications will have 10 working days from the date of applying to submit these before they will be closed.  

Frequently Asked Questions- after you’ve applied

Can I appeal a decision if my application is unsuccessful?   

As this is a discretionary scheme there is no right of appeal. However, if you think we have overlooked important information then you can ask for us to look at the application again by emailing providing reasons along with your name, address and reference number.  

This decision will be final.   

How long will my application take?  

We aim to contact applicants within 15 working days after submitting a fully completed application containing all the required information.

Can I apply more than once?  

We will only accept one application per household within a 12 month period.

How do I use my Huggg Voucher?  

To find out more information about using your Huggg voucher please click here. 

How do I use my Huggg Paypoint Voucher?  

To find out more information about using your Huggg Paypoint voucher please click here. 

I topped up my gas card/key or electricity card/key and the money hasn’t been loaded. What should I do?  

Please contact PayPoint directly at

What help has been made available?

You can apply to the HSF5 here

Other Cost of living support

For more advice on the Government’s range of support, including childcare, income and disability benefits, housing and travel, click here