Information for students

Most full-time students cannot get housing benefit because the government expects them to use other money like their grant, student loan or access funds to pay their rent.

But you may be able to get housing benefit if:

  • You are a part-time student
  • You have children
  • You are 60 or over
  • You get Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income related Employment & Support Allowance
  • You get the Disability Premium (This is an allowance we use to work out benefit for people who meet certain conditions)
  • Your grant includes an amount for deafness
  • You are aged under 20 and not in higher education
  • You have a partner who is not a student. They need to claim – not you.
  • Your course has been interrupted with the approval of the college or university, due to illness or caring responsibilities