Abandoned vehicles

If you see a vehicle that you think has been abandoned, you should report it to us. Please provide us with as much information as possible; e.g., the vehicle’s registration number, colour, manufacturer, location etc. This will help us to locate the vehicle and take appropriate action.

We can then make the relevant checks to ascertain whether the vehicle has been stolen and establish the current keeper. Should our investigation confirm it is abandoned, we will remove it. 

Please Note:

A vehicle that is parked on the highway, is taxed and is moved within a 21-day period should not be reported as an abandoned vehicle as the Council cannot take any action.

If you are reporting a vehicle that is either only an untaxed vehicle, or only has a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notice) and it is parked on the highway, then you need to report this to the DVLA on www.gov.uk.

The Council will not take any action should you report a vehicle that is parked in your “usual” parking space as a vehicle with road tax can park on any highway at any time, where there are no traffic restrictions. 

Burnley Council cannot help with:

  • Poorly parked vehicles
  • Vehicles causing obstruction
  • Neighbour disputes
  • Residential parking disputes
  • Vehicle breakdown