Building Control Applications

See “How to Pay” below or click on the download document.

Building regulation approval is required for most types of building work. However there are some exemptions that do not require permission, or works that can be carried out by a member of a competent person scheme.

Types of application

There are three types of application that you can make.

  • Commercial, industrial or larger domestic projects: 
    plans are drawn up – make a full plans application.
  • Small scale domestic work: a building notice
  • Work that has already been carried out without building regulation consent where permission is now being sought: a regularisation application would need to be submitted for consideration.

Further information on the types of application and whether the works you wish to carry out require permission.​

How to apply

If approval is required for the proposed work, please complete and submit the relevant application form:

How to submit

Please send your completed application form by email to

How to pay

A fee is required as part of your building regulations application. The fee is determined on the type of work you propose to carry out. Please consult the current scale of charges, below to establish which fee must be paid.

Payment may be made by credit or debit card by telephoning the office between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday on 01282 477269.

Alternatively, BACS payments can be arranged. For payment details contact

Planning permission

Please be aware that your proposed building work might also need planning permission.


  • icon representing a file Scale of Charges Please note that a revised scale of charges will be introduced on 1st April 2024. Scale of charges.pdf