Guidance for Holding a Street Party

This guidance refers to the kind of street parties that groups of residents get together to arrange with neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and other public events are listed below:

Street Parties:

  • For residents/neighbours only
  • Publicity only to residents
  • In a quiet residential road or street
  • Self-organised
  • Insurance not usually required
  • No formal risk assessment needed
  • Licence not usually required unless the sale of alcohol is involved

Other Public Events:

  • Anyone can attend
  • External publicity (such as newspapers/social media)
  • In buildings, parks etc.
  • Professional/skilled organisers
  • Insurance needed
  • Risk assessment usually required
  • Licence usually required

Risk assessment

You should not need a risk assessment – as long as consideration is given to the needs of all those attending, common sense precautions should be enough.

Do I need a licence

The Licensing Act 2003 does not require a music licence at a street party unless amplified music is one of the main purposes of the event.

However, if you plan to sell alcohol you will need a Temporary Event Notice.

Noise Nuisance

Consideration should always be given to nearby residents and any noise/music should be at a reasonable level so as not to disturb neighbours.

Road closures

Lancashire County Council Highways Team is responsible for public highways within the Burnley Borough.  If you are planning to close your street, a Temporary Traffic  Regulation Order may need to be put in place. Please complete an Event Notification form if you would like to request a road closure.


Although there is no legal requirement to have public liability insurance, you may think that it is a good idea to have some in place, further advice can be found at

Food licence

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed that one-off events such as street parties aren’t usually considered food businesses.  However you must ensure that any food provided is safe to eat.

Useful links

If you wanted to organise a gathering or ‘Street Meet’ on private land, such as a driveway or front garden, further information can be found here: