Emergencies: report a flood
- Advice on action to take if your property is flooding on GOV.UK.
- Ring the 24-hour Environment Agency flood line number on 0345 988 1188. Type talk 0345 602 6340 for the hard of hearing.
- Ring 999 if there’s a danger to life.
- Please note that the council does not normally provide sandbags to homes or businesses.
Useful advice and information
The Flood Hub provides support and advice to people and communities to help manage and minimise the risk of flooding to properties and businesses.
Non-emergencies: report a flood or something that could cause a flood
- To report flooding from burst pipes, ring United Utilities Leakline on 0800 330 033.
- To report flooding from waste water or sewers, ring United Utilities on 0345 672 3723.
- If your house is flooding, ring your insurance company’s 24 hour emergency number.
- To report flooding on the highway or as a result of blocked drains and gullies to Lancashire County Council via Love Clean Streets.
Problems with drainage on private property
View the United Utilities blocked drain guidance.
If your neighbours are also affected then the problem is likely to be with the sewer and responsibility may lie with United Utilities. Use the United Utilities sewers and drains explained page to find out whether a sewer or drain is public or private. We have certain powers to force owners to deal with drainage issues on privately owned land.
If you are a tenant you should contact your landlord or Housing Association who is responsible for fixing the problem to inform them and agree when the work can be carried out. Please give them the opportunity to resolve the problem before contacting us.