Council Tax bands and how to appeal

Council tax appeals

Tell us immediately if you think:

  • your home should not be charged Council Tax
  • the bills are being sent to the wrong person for your home
  • the amount being charged is wrong
  • the council has not reduced the bill even though a disabled person lives there

You cannot appeal just because you think your Council Tax bill is too expensive.

More information on appealing against a council tax bill on

Contact the Valuation Office Agency to appeal against your Council Tax band.

Council tax banding

Some private companies claim to be Council Tax refund specialists. They will offer their service on a “no win no fee” basis. But, they may charge you up to 35% of any refund that you are due, when you could do this yourself for free!

If you think your property might be in the wrong band, then you need to contact the Valuation Office Agency:

If you think that a property you used to live in has been re-banded and you are now due a refund because you overpaid Council Tax then please check the band and then contact us at