Freedom of information (FOI)

Provision of Information under the Freedom of Information Act

The Freedom of Information Act gives a general right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities. It sets out exemptions from that right and places a number of obligations on public authorities.

Any person who makes a request to a public authority for information must be informed whether the public authority holds that information, and subject to exemptions, must be supplied with that information.

Individuals already have the right of access to information about themselves under the Data Protection Act.

Requesting Information

The first step is to check whether the information you want is already available. Use the search box above to find information that is already available.

See our transparency page for frequently requested information on :

IT systems, our spending, contracts, public burials and council land for example.

If the information is not available on the council’s website or if you cannot find what you want in the Publication Scheme, you will need to make your Freedom of Information request.

Requests will be responded to within 20 working days.

To request the Council for information under the Freedom of Information Act or to contact the Council in relation to the Act please write to:

Democratic and Legal Services
Burnley Borough Council
Town Hall
Manchester Road
BB11 9SA

Or submit your request online:

You will need to tell us:

  • Your name and address. This is so we can contact you with any queries about your request, and provide the information to you;
  • Details of the information you are seeking;
  • Whether you would prefer to receive the information in a particular format. We will try to deliver the information in this way, although it may not be possible in all cases

Appeals Procedure

A request for information may only be refused if it falls under one of the exemptions. If your request is refused you can ask the Council to conduct a review of its decision under the Council’s complaints procedure. The review will be carried out by someone who has not been involved in dealing with your request for information. If you require a review you should write to the Head of Democratic and Legal Services, at the address given above. If, after the internal review, your request is still refused, you may ask The Information Commissioner to review that decision…