Elected Members’ Code of Conduct Complaints Process

The Standards Committee deals with complaints about the behaviour of Council Members, as well as members of Parish and Town Councils in Burnley. The Council has a Code of Conduct governing the behaviour of Councillors and can only deal with complaints covered by the Code. If you make a complaint to the committee it must be about why you think a member has not followed the Code of Conduct.

You can download a copy of the “Code of Conduct – Guide for Members” here. Select the most recent meeting for the constitution then go to 5a- the complaints process is the appendix to 5a.

All complaints alleging that members have breached their Code of Conduct must be made initially to the Monitoring Officer who will decide whether any action should be taken and, if so, what. This means that if you wish to complain about a Burnley Councillor, or a Parish or Town Councillor, you will first need to send your complaint to:

The Monitoring Officer 
Burnley Borough Council 
Town Hall 
Manchester Road
BB11 1JA