Changes in your tenants circumstances

What happens if the tenant’s circumstance change?

You and your tenant should tell us straight away about any change that may affect their benefit.

Typical examples of changes in tenants’ circumstances are:

  • if they change address
  • if they start work
  • if an adult moves into or out of the house
  • if the tenant stops getting Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment & Support Allowance
  • if the size of the family changes
  • if their rent changes
  • if the tenant’s income changes

You and your tenant must report all changes to us straight away. It is an offence under Section 14 of the Social Security Administration (Fraud) Act 1997 if you or your tenant do not tell us about a change in their circumstances which might affect their entitlement to housing benefit of council tax benefit.