Provide evidence to support your benefit claim

Provide documents that we have asked for as supporting evidence for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Discretionary Housing Payment claims.

Provide evidence of changes in circumstances to existing claims.

Have your benefit reference number ready, with scans or photos of the documents you want to upload. There are examples of proof that might be required to support your claim below.

Proof of rent – evidence could be:

  • Tenancy agreement
  • Letter from Landlord / Agent
  • Rent book

The evidence for proof of rent must provide the following information:

  • The full name and business or residential (home) address of the owner of the property
  • The full name and business address of any agent
  • The date the agreement started
  • The amount of current rent payable
  • What is included in the rent – for example, heating, lighting, cleaning, water rates, meals, personal care, general counselling and support
  • The payment period or frequency for example, weekly, monthly, four weekly

Proof of household

For dependant children, proof can be:

  • Child benefit award letter
  • bank statement showing child benefit credits

For other adults living in your home we must see documentary evidence to confirm their gross income and capital. This might be:

  • Last 5 weekly or last 3 fortnightly or last 2 monthly pay slips or
  • A letter from their employer detailing this information. The letter must be signed and stamped by the employer
  • Proof of capital – current bank / building society statements, proof of bonds, unit trusts, stocks and shares.

Proof of income and capital

This includes earned income such as wages, benefit payments and money in the bank:

  • If you are paid a wage: Last 5 weekly or last 3 fortnightly or last 2 monthly pay slips or
  • A letter from your employer detailing the following:
  • Name and address of employer
  • Gross income for the period and the year to date
  • Income Tax for the period and year to date
  • National Insurance deducted
  • Pension Contributions
  • Method of payment e.g. cash, cheque, BACS

If you are self-employed we will need to see:

  • Certified accounts or
  • Completed self-employed proforma (available from our offices)

For other income – evidence can be:

  • Award letter
  • Current bank statements which show payments of benefit received
  • Current bank statements which show payments of occupational pension
  • Latest payment slip for occupational pension
  • Court orders

Capital – evidence must cover at least the last two months

  • Current bank / building society statements
  • Bank / building society books
  • Statements detailing assets for certificates, bonds, unit trusts, stock and shares

Proof of national insurance number

This can be found on:

  • P45 / P60
  • Wage slips
  • Tax letter
  • Letter from Benefits Agency
  • National insurance number card