Welcome from Afrasiab Anwar, Leader of the Council
Burnley Borough Council is an ambitious Council which continues to punch above its weight and has a reputation for providing excellent services as well as supporting and delivering significant development projects.
In 2019, the Council adopted its Town Centre and Canalside Masterplan which has seen a range of significant interventions including:
- development and current construction of the new Pioneer Place leisure-led scheme
- acquisition of Burnley’s main retail centre, Charter Walk
- close working with the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) on their plans to expand student numbers from 200 to 4,000 including the current redevelopment of Newtown Mill
- development and expansion of Burnley College
- securing £20 million of Levelling Up Funding which in addition to Newtown Mill will also see the delivery of the Town to Turf gateway project and access improvements at Manchester Road Railway Station
The Council has a mixed economy of service provision with partnerships in place for street cleansing and waste collection, revenues and benefits, customer services and back-office services and a well-regarded Leisure Trust.
Our existing Chief Executive is retiring this summer and we are therefore seeking our next Chief Executive who will work alongside elected Members and with partners to continue to oversee service improvements and further develop and deliver significant development opportunities.
Burnley is always in the spotlight and receives significant media attention, so this is a big job and you will need to demonstrate your ability to respond to the unexpected, produce results, develop new opportunities and build partnerships to continue to take the Council and the town forward.
Your employment history must demonstrate that you are ready to take on this role and have a proven track record as a leader with senior management experience with a comparable organisation.
You must have a passion for making a positive impact on the lives of residents and the drive for bringing forward and delivering significant changes within the Borough.
We are looking for a committed professional to build on our nationally recognised strengths and shape our key projects going forward, ensuring our residents share in the proceeds of economic growth. These include:
- Levelling Up Fund – delivery of our Levelling Up Fund projects which include redevelopment of Newtown Mill, delivery of the Town to Turf gateway project and significant access improvements at Manchester Road Railway Station.
- Town Centre – development of our retail centre including Charter Walk and Burnley Market.
- Local Plan – continuing the delivery of our ambitious Local Plan which was adopted in 2018.
- North West Burnley Growth Corridor – ensuring flood defences are delivered for Padiham.
- Housing – continuing to work with a range of partners to bring forward good quality housing of choice and to ensure private sector housingimproves
- Climate Change – driving forward the delivery of our Climate Change Strategy
Our organisation is committed to maximising its resources and we are firmly committed to developing our employees.
If this post interests you and you feel you have the qualities we are looking for, I would like to encourage you to join our team.
Good luck with your application.
Council Leader, Burnley Council