There are no formal qualifications needed to become a Councillor. However to stand validly nominated you must fulfil the following Legal Requirements. To be qualified to be an elected member of the council you must be:
- 18 years of age or over at the date of nomination
- a Commonwealth citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland or a
citizen of another Member State of the European Community and
- a local government elector within the city or;
- have worked in the area for the last 12 months, or;
- have lived in the area for the last 12 months, or;
- owned land/property in the area for the last 12 months.
You cannot stand as a Candidate if:
- You are disqualified from being elected by reason of any disqualification set
out in section 80 of the Local Government Act 1972 – Part V or section 79 of
the Local Government Act 2000.
- You hold a politically restricted post under Part 1 of the local Government and
Housing Act 1989.